Saturday, September 20, 2008

Secrets

What do you do with a secret? I guess it depends on how you obtained the information as to whether you should tell it or keep it. Were you told not to tell anyone or did you just overhear a conversation that you shouldn’t have. Maybe it’s the content of the secret that is the deciding factor. Is it a big secret or just a little one. Is it about someone you know or is it about a total stranger. Maybe it’s simply a moral issue. By telling what you know, it could hurt someone bad… or by telling what you know, it could prevent someone from getting hurt as bad. I have a dilemma. I am the owner of a secret and I’ve been struggling with what to do with it for over a week now. I wasn’t told not to tell anyone and as of right now, I’ve not told a soul and I don’t know if I will. I don’t know if I can. I don’t know if I should even try. I really don’t know what I'm going to with it at all. My first instinct was to go straight the person the secret is about and tell them because it pissed me off… but they’ve made that a very difficult task. Then I thought I would tell one of their friends and have them tell. But I don’t know who their friends are anymore. It’s kind of a no win situation all the way around. They’re probably going to find out most of it eventually whether I say anything or not and it’s going to hurt whether it happens now or later. It resembles a cross between karma and deja vu. They’ve created this whole situation pretty much all by themselves and it looks like it’s going to come full circle. I guess it’s really none of my business anymore and I would probably end up just causing a huge problem for myself more than anything. I think I’ve finally decided the best thing for me to do is just keep my mouth shut and try to forget what I know. There is one secret I can share with everyone... Be careful when you start burning your bridges. You never know when you might need something from the other side.

1 comment:

TNAshley said...

Secrets are only secrets if someone told you not to tell anyone else. If that is the case you have to keep it to yourself as long as the person the secret is about isn't in any physical danger. If you weren't told by anyone not to tell another then you aren't technically bound to silence. That's a decision you have to make. If it were me I would just sit back and see how this all plays out in the end. I love the comment about being careful when you start burning bridges because you never know when you may need something from the other side. Bravo! Well said! You are a poet!