Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Alcohol

As bad as I hate to admit it, alcohol has become my best friend again. It understands me when I’ve had a bad day, it listens when I just need to talk and it helps me to forget about the things I should forget about… but can’t seem to. I don’t think it’s a serious problem yet, but I am starting to get a little concerned. I don’t turn to alcohol every day but I find myself looking for a way out a lot more often. I’ve been “participating” all afternoon today. I used to drink when I was happy to have a good time but I’ve discovered as a lot of others have that alcohol helps with other things. Yeah I know that the problem is still there once you sober up but for that brief period of time before you pass out, you get a little peace of mind… you don’t worry about the things that are troubling you. This phase like all others will pass I guess but for now I think I’ll just have another drink. At this point it’s just easier that way. I’ll pass out in a little while and be at ease because I won’t be able to focus on anything at all. I know that tomorrow morning when I wake up though, I’ll be right back to where I left off today. That’s the vicious cycle of abuse. Everything in moderation is what I’ve always heard… but sometimes that's really hard to do. I guess I’d better go set my alarm now so I can get up tomorrow.

1 comment:

TNAshley said...

You have to find an outlet my friend. Let's say when you feel like you want to drink, you make a conscious decision to start a project instead...something that will take a couple of hours and keep your mind focused on something new. Buy some cans of paint and keep them around...that way you can paint a wall or a room. Get some sort of exercise equipment and work out instead. Pick up the phone and call a friend. Join a volleyball or basketball league or hey bowling (some of those are going on this time of year). Voluteer at a community organization. Stay busy! It's the downtime when we aren't focused on anything that our mind wanders to places we don't want to go.